Issue #97, Sep 6, 2011
||News Stories |
Info - PCI Compliance
FAQ - How Do I Handle Paying an Advance to the Vendor Using a Debit Card?
ProfitShield - Determining Value
FAQ - Using the Open Order Report to Follow Up with Vendors
Update - eCommerce Gold 6.40.00 Is Available
By Jerry Boland
Many times, we receive calls from customers who ask "Is ProfitMaker PCI Compliant?". Technically, ASI Computer Systems meets PCI Compliancy requirements, but the primary focus on being PCI Compliant falls squarely on the merchant.
Here's a simplified list of the Do's and Don't's that should be followed by merchants handling credit card transactions:
- Do regularly monitor and test networks/systems that have payment card data.
- Do implement and enforce a company Information Security Policy.
- Do install and keep up-to-date, a firewall that protects cardholder data stored within company systems.
- Do assign every employee with computer access a unique ID and use a robust password (e.g., mix of letters, numbers, and symbols), which is changed frequently (every 45-60 days).
- Do restrict physical access to company systems and records with cardholder data to only those employees with a business "need-to-know."
- Do encrypt cardholder data if transmitting it over wireless or open, public networks.
- Do use and regularly update anti-virus software.
- Do have secure company systems and applications (e.g., good and frequent process to update all computers with necessary patches, process for identifying system/application vulnerabilities, etc.)
- Do ensure any e-commerce payment solutions are tested to prevent programming vulnerabilities like SQL injection.
- Do use a Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA-DSS) compliant payment application listed on the
PCI Security Standards Council website.
- Do verify that they have validated PCI DSS compliance and are listed on
Visa's website if you outsource the handling of cardholder data to a third party service provider.
- Do Not store magnetic stripe cardholder data or the CVV2 code (the three digit value on the back of Visa cards) after authorization.
- Do Not use vendor-supplied or default system passwords or common/weak passwords.
- Do Not store cardholder data in any systems in clear text.
- Do Not leave remote access applications in an "always on" mode.
The Do Not's (bold items) are the one area that ASI Computer Systems can impact, and as a general practice, ProfitMaker will not capture and store sensitive credit card information that would include the Credit Card Number or CVV2 code.
How Do I Handle Paying an Advance to the Vendor Using a Debit Card?|
By Jodi Geiger
When using a debit card to pay an advance to a vendor, enter the advance as a hand written check. Keep a little notebook with the check numbers you use, so you will know which number to use next. Use numbers that are not within the range of your actual check numbers.
This will put the advance on the vendor`s account and post to the bank general ledger showing the deduction of cash.
The advance will still need to be vouched to expense the amount to your general ledger.
By Jim Flack
How do you determine value? The definition of value is the relative worth, merit, or importance. ProfitMaker is updated with new exciting features
like the Streamline Month End. The Streamline Month End feature allows you to run month end overnight, thus it avoids tying up the system during daytime hours.
This provides value and more bang for your buck! This is another example of how we strive to add value to your ProfitShield Assurance program.
ProfitMaker bulletins outline new features. New features added to ProfitMaker are designed to help you be more efficient and profitable. Using new features
will save you time and money. This would be like having an extra employee that works 24 hours a day!
ASI Computer Systems is committed to your success. You depend on ProfitMaker to run your business today, and the ProfitMaker updates allow you to continue to
compete in the future. If you have any questions regarding your ProfitShield - Assurance Program, please contact James Flack via email at
or by phone at 319-266-7688, Ext 3981.
Using the Open Order Report to Follow Up with Vendors|
By Fonda Foster
Have you called a vendor in the morning, only to forget about all the open orders? This is a common practice when you call vendors without using reports.
The Open Order Report allows you to follow up on open orders that have not been billed. This report is used to follow up with vendors and ship dates.
When printing the report, you may choose the information you wish to have listed and are offered several sort options. When sorting by vendor # with subheading,
you will see the phone number, fax number, email address and your account number with the vendor. All report formats in ProfitMaker can be saved saving you valuable time.
Printing this report on a regular basis, such as once a week, allows you to discuss all orders due to be shipped by a certain date with a vendor all in one conversation.
eCommerce Gold 6.40.00 Is Available|
By Lynn Femino
eCommerce Gold Service Pack 6.40.00 is now available.
Click here to download this service pack.
You MUST be on version 6.30.00 or higher before installing this service pack and your account with ASICS must be current.
Details about what is in this service pack can be found here.